Recently, I came across an article on dictionary.com that spoke about the weird phobias that people have, though some of it was hilarious it is still a fact that these things scare people.
Firstly, according to dictionary.com a phobia (pho·bi·a (fō’bē-ə) n. is a persistent, abnormal, or irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid the feared stimulus. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
Look at this list and see if you fall into any of these categories:
- Phobophobia [foh-buh-foh-bee-uh] – an abnormal fear of developing a phobia
- Teratophobia – the bone chilling and highly specific fear of giving birth to a monster
- Ergophobia [ur-guh-foh-bee-uh] – refers to an abnormal fear of work
- Atephobia – a fear of ruins eg. Machu Picchu, stonehenge
- Arachibutyrophobia – refers to the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one’s mouth
- Apeirophobia – refers to the fair of infinity
- Homichlophobia – refers to a fear of fog
- Aulophobia – refers to the fear of flutes
- Linonophobia – a fear of string
- Nyctophobia [nik-tuh-foh-bee-uh] – fear of the dark / an abnormal fear of night or darkness.
- Kinesophobia – pathological fear of motion
- Kathisophobia – fear of sitting down
- Aichmophobia – a morbid fear of sharp or pointed objects (such as a needle or a pointing finger)
- Amaxophobia – fear of being or riding in a vehicle
- Ailurophobia – abnormal fear of cats
- Amathophobia – fear of dust
- Hypengyophobia – abnormal fear of responsibility
- Toxiphobia – abnormal fear of poisons or of being poisoned
- Ochlophobia – Morbid fear of crowds
- Ideophobia – fear or distrust of ideas or reason.
See any that you fall into? you may be surprised of the people you know who may have several of these. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂