It is the end of the year … wow, what a ride … I delved into my blog and decided to just do what I do best and be open about what I read and just share the love, cause there is a lot of love to share.
When I started the blog, I loved to read smut and anything along that line, but for 2016 (and I also think its because of Sarah J. Maas), I have begun to love and respect, sword wielding women, who love to defend and fight (sometimes when I read and there is no scene where they bathe/shower I wonder if they smell – cause they would lol). Within that list I’ve also found myself reading about fairies, vampires, magicians, shape-shifters and closer to reality, people of different cultures and tastes . One thing that is constant though is I still love variety. It keeps things spicy – so in one month I may read three or four books all from different genres all depending on how I feel at that time.
In 2016, I read 45 books, ( a small number for a bookie) by choice; when compared to last years tally of well over 100 books. The plan for 2016 was for 32, but I overdid it anyway. Its all good though, I was reading.
There were a number of authors that stood out for me within the year. One major one (and I am not adding him to any list cause he would always be on top) is my Jamaican author, K. Sean Harris. He gave us two books in 2016, Siblings of Death and Crossroads. SoD was really good, you can read the review on that one in a previous blog post. Crossroads will be travelling with me to 2017, and I look forward to reading this one too. He still gives me everything I request in a book.
This is the list of authors that kept my attention in 2016. Some of them will be travelling to 2017 with me:
- Sarah J. Maas – with two breath taking series, keeping us in love and on our toes for much of this year.. Everybody fell in love with Rhysand and Rowan, strong female characters and the stories that she effortlessly spills out. We look forward to not only the ending of one series but to so much more from this wonderful creator of worlds. I gave each book in both series between 4 – 5 stars. *THRONE OF GLASS SERIES *A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES *A COURT OF MIST AND FURY
- Renee Ahdieh – Two fast paced books that taught us that love can be found between strangers and can grow into something formidable. Awesome world creation and characters. Beautifully written. Both books – 5 stars each. *THE WRATH AND THE DAWN *THE ROSE AND THE DAGGER
- Amy Harmon – the first chapter of this book had the following curse –
“swallow daughter, pull them in, those words that sit upon your lips. Lock them deep inside your soul, hide them ’till they’ve time to grow. Close your mouth upon the power, curse not, cure not, ’till the hour. You won’t speak and you won’t tell, you won’t call on heaven or hell. You will learn and you will thrive, Silence daughter. Stay alive.”
– and it was the most pivotal quote from the book and it begins the adventure of a life time. A beautiful love story that was breathtaking and amazing from start to finish. 5 Stars awarded here. *THE BIRD AND THE SWORD
- Jaymin Eve – The Compass Quad and Jessa – need I say more. All three books in series were awesome and filled with lots of action, strong characters and DRAGONS!!!! *THE SUPERNATURAL PRISON SERIES
- Aisha Saeed – This one made me angry, happy and sad, but it also opened my eyes to a culture that I could not relate to. I was glad I read this one because it was a good eye opener. *WRITTEN IN THE STARS
TOP THREE SERIES FROM MY READ LIST:
- The Throne of Glass Series – (read in this order):
*The Assassin’s Blade, *Throne of Glass, *Crown of Midnight, *Heir of Fire, *Queen of Shadows, *Empire of Storms
2. The Wrath and the Dawn Series – (read in this order):
*The Wrath and the Dawn, *The Rose and the Dagger
3. The Supernatural Prison Series – (read in this order):
*Dragon marked, *Dragon mystics, *Dragon mated
TOP THREE STAND ALONE NOVELS:
- The Bird and the Sword – Amy Harmon
- It’s not my favorite – Rue
- Written in the stars – Aisha Saeed
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM MY READ LIST:
For series I would definitely recommend the books from Sarah J. Mass, and
For stand alone the Bird and the Sword from Amy Harmon
BOOKS TRAVELLING TO 2017 (these are part of a series I have not yet completed)
- Empire of Storms – from Throne of Glass Series – Sarah J. Maas
- The Wicked will Rise – from Dorothy Must Die Series – Danielle Paige
- Yellow Brick War – from Dorothy Must Die Series – Danielle Paige
- Broken Compass – From Supernatural Prison Series – Jaymin Eve
NOW, after so many lists I have two decisions to make ….How many books to read for 2017 and the next six books from the WTR list that will begin the 2017 reading year.
Soooo, How many books?????
I think after reading over the planned 32 and getting as far as 45, I will put the projection attttttt:
50 with a cap of 70
So we working towards 70 but can stop at 50 .
NOW…for the hardest decision ever, ever, ever: and we working with the ones we already have either physically or e-books:
Three physical books:
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – J.K. Rowling
- Forsaken – Assassins Creed – Oliver Bowden
- Crosswords – K. Sean Harris
- Illuminae – Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- Touching Smoke – Airicka Phoenix
- Slayers – C.J. Hill
(and don’t forget that i am presently reading The Wicked will Rise from the Dorothy must Die series).
To wrap things up, it was a wonderful year for reading and I look forward wholeheartedly to a new year filled with loads of reading, imagination and adventure. Looking forward to some excellent stories from authors new and old.
I can’t wait.